Minutes April 2017



Minutes April 2017

April 12, 2017, 6:30 PM

Cambria Rabobank, 1070 Main Street

A Quorum was established by the attendance of directors Crosby and Laura Swartz, Connie Gannon, JoEllen Butler, and Christine Heinrichs. Harry Farmer, CCSD liaison, Nancy Anderson of Greenspace and Beautify Cambria Association, Tony Church of NCAC, Bruce Fosdike of Cambria Fire Safe Focus Group, Gordon Heinrichs, and Kathe Tanner of The Cambrian also attended.

Public Comment and Questions: Bruce Fosdike presented the letter sent to him by PGE regarding his refusal to consent to tree trimming on his property. He will pursue the issue with PGE and Davey Tree personnel and report back.

Minutes of March Meeting approved as amended.

Treasurer’s Report: $3,208.76, including the remainder of one Cambria Community Council grant, $215.91, and the entire amount of the second, $750. CPA Lynn Singer, who has signed off on tax reports in the past, has raised her fee from $50 to $135. Records are submitted to her for 2016. The directors can discuss whether this expense is needed in future.

Sub-Committee Reports


CFC Directors Mailing List: Crosby will share with Christine to invite past participants to return to the Forest Committee.

Invasive Weed Guide Comments: Christine will print a hard copy for Crosby and Laura. Designer Don Ambriz will be consulted for an estimate of costs. Other funding sources such as the county Fire Safe Council and the Weed Management Authority can be approached if the $750 grant is not adequate.

County Permit Referral Packages: Crosby is still not receiving the packages. He will contact county Senior Planner Airlin Singewald and Planner II Brandi Cummings.

Forest Management

Sudden Oak Death Survey Training: will be held on:

Thursday May 11 from 1pm to 4pm at SLO County Department of Agriculture, 2156 Sierra Way, San Luis Obispo, CA

Friday, May 12, 6pm to 8pm, Atascadero Library, Martin Polin Community Room, 6555 Capistrano Ave, Atascadero, CA

Collecting will take place on Saturday and Sunday, May 13 and 14.

Registration for the training is now open. Each participant need only attend one training session. Click here to register – http://ucanr.edu/2017sodblitztraining

Kathe Tanner would like to interview someone who attends the training for an article in The Cambrian.

Fire Code Revisions: There is some confusion as to what trees are covered, whether dead or down. Connie and JoEllen will arrange to meet with Fire Chief William Hollingsworth to clarify.

Forest Health Program Concept Proposal: Connie submitted a grant application. The Forest Committee is listed as an advisory group.

Report from Fire Safe Focus Group: Protocol is in place for fire hydrant testing, but it has not yet started. Dan Turner will submit a grant application for the Biomass Cogeneration Plant. The additional Fuel Cube unit costs $270,000 plus $200,000 in support equipment, too expensive for Cambria. He will advocate for Cal Fire to purchase one for the Sierras that Cambria could borrow.

No New Business  

Unfinished Business

Smartphone Forest Application: Christine will check What’s Invasive and Cambria Chamber apps and report.

Forest Health Program Grant Application: Connie will report.

Contact Crosby with agenda items for next meeting by May 8.

Public and Director Comments: Several events coming up:

Greenspace Wildflower hike, Saturday April 15

Greenspace concert fundraiser following March for Science walk April 22

BCA weed pulling on medians and sidewalk strips, 2 pm April 23

FFRP Wildflower Show, April 29-30, expect unusual plants following Chimney Fire. Photo contest this year, submit two copies, matted not larger than 16 x 20, to the FFRP office before April 21.

Sarah Bisbing is rescheduling her talk for FFRP.

Greenspace landscaping workshop, May 6, 10 am. Identifying native plants. All welcome. Landscape workers can get a certificate that qualifies them for recommendation by the fire department in weed removal. Spanish translation available.

Adjourned at 8:25 pm.

Next Meeting May 10, 2017

Next Meeting May 10, 2017
This entry was posted in Approved Minutes and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.